Good news! Since 2014 students can earn a letter in nordic skiing. To letter skiers must show proficiency in skate and classic technique, participate in at least three races, attend practices and complete community service hours. Although not counted for points skiers are also expected to volunteer at least once each season with the Screaming Eagles Program. Click here to download and print the form to submit to coaches: RWNordic Letter
Minimum Expectation: 130 Points
A. __________Community Service – Requirement – 10 Hours – 10 Points
This form describing service must be turned in prior to the last scheduled practice. Any community service between March 15 and the last day of practice may be applied:
| ___________________ Student signature
___________________ Parent signature
B. __________Demonstration of Proper Skiing Techniques – Requirement – Four techniques (16 Points)
C. ___________High School Meets – Requirement – 3 events – 60 Points A skier must compete in three scheduled high school meets. Each event is worth 20 points. A make up race (if scheduled), a scheduled High School race or citizens race may be used in place of one of the high school meets. If a citizens race is used in place of one of the required meets it is the skier responsibility to provide Red Wing Head Coach with the name, location, date and results in writing.
D. ____________Practice – Requirement – Attend 85% of Practices – 50 Points. It is expected that each skier will attend a minimum of 85% of the total of held practices (approximately 25 sessions, each practice worth 2 points)
It is expected that each skier will attend a minimum of 85% of the total of held practices (approximately 25 sessions, each practice worth 2 points)
E. _____________Bonus Points – 8 points maximum – 4 points for each workshop or ski camp attended in addition to regular practices and must be conducted by qualified coaches/skiers.
- 4 points for each workshop or ski camp attended in addition to regular practices and must be conducted by qualified coaches/skiers.
- Wax clinic counts as 2 points
- Citizens race may be substituted for 2 practices (4 points)
_____________ TOTAL POINTS A-E ABOVE
Much time is given to practice and meet competition other than just ski time. Activities including preparing skis for the weather (waxing) gathering necessary clothing and transportation. These hours are included in points awarded.
Coaches Discretion (exceptions)
- If an athlete is injured during the season and unable to participate fully because of injury, coaching staff will decide whether the felt the injured athlete would have reached the lettering criteria had the injury not occurred.
- A letter will not be awarded to anyone determined by the coaches to be detrimental to team spirit or proper team conduct.
- If weather limits the number of team practices, 85% of the planned practices will be used to determine the total minimum points required. At coaches discretion, intra-team races may also be scheduled to substitute for cancelled meets.
Name of skier (Please print clearly): __________________ Date:_________